Monday, July 21, 2008

Just Surfing

I came back from Melbourne yesterday more a zombie than a human, but my inert mental state did not stop me from savouring the after-taste of yet another good workshop.

So there were 20 in Brisbane, 20 in Melbourne and over 60 in Sydney, and then some more in Hobart and Launceston. Maybe not what the Pope got, but for AUSIT, this is not bad for a PD performance. What was even better, was the fact that people were really interested, that the workshop was full of participant's questions, and that people had fun as well as learning new information.

I call it making holes in brick-walls. Love the sunshine that comes in afterwards.

Once the clouds of sleep depravation and hurting feet lifted, I started thinking about what one VIC/TAS member had said - we are an aging industry in Australia, and no one is preparing the younger generation. I have to admit that it was a bit of a shock to the system to find out how many seasoned (and often BBQed) translators, with many more years of expertise than me, battled with the world of new technologies, and how many missed on what it could offer them.

So maybe the book is in order now. NOW. Before I, too, become too tired and old to teach. But a book that stays updated, not one that is obsolete before it even hits the offset press. So maybe a hyper-book? A book written by more than one person, by all of us, together, as we learn? An interactive book, full of good tips, and laughter?

I think I will start it with a Google Group first, and a dedicated blog for my longer epiphanies.

1 comment:

LarkAscending said...

Let me know when you get a Google group off the ground - would be happy to participate.
Keep up the good, energetic work, Sam!